Happy July 3rd, Food Friends!
First of all, I’m sorry, can we just point out that it’s already July? Almost the 4th? Insane. Time is a crazy thing!
And as much as I would love some juicy, grilled corn on the cob and a fat, thick hamburger with extra pickles, it is hot as heck outside so I will not be grilling this 4th.
I do however have some simple, more chill recipes that require minimal ingredients and time. And for the most part, they require no heat!
I love chicken, and rotisserie chickens are great because you can literally do almost anything with them! I’d love to make a creamy chicken soup with shredded chicken one day in the fall!
No soup for the next few months though, that’s for sure. Instead, I’ve focused my energy on crisp, salads! This salad here is a very simple recipe made with light mayo and dried cranberries. The cranberry adds some sweetness and chews to the salad, while some added walnut brings crunch and a little extra salt kick. YUM!
I set mine on a bed of fresh spinach and tomatoes, but you can use whatever greens you like or none at all! This salad goes just fine on its own, and is perfect in sandwich form!
ROTISSERIE CHICKEN SALAD:
1 Rotisserie Chicken, shredded
3 Tbsp Dried Parsley
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1 Cup Dried Cranberries
1/2 Cup Walnuts, chopped
3 1/2 Tbsp Light Mayonnaise
1 Cup Fresh Spinach, washed and chopped (or whole)
1 Cherry Tomato, sliced
- Shred the whole chicken, discard of bones properly.
- Once the chicken is shredded, throw it into a large bowl.
- Next, add mayo, seasonings, walnuts, and cranberries.
- Mix the ingredients together until just combined. Cover properly, and keep refrigerated.
- Wash spinach and tomato, cut and slice both. Lay out on a plate and pile a heaping spoonful of the Rotisserie Chicken Salad on top! This also goes well just by itself, or on a toasted roll with fresh lettuce and tomato for a sandwich!