Hey Food Friends!
I was up early again today, baking and cooking until I finished around 1 PM and jumped in the shower to relax.
I’ve been craving cake, and I didn’t want to make a layer cake just for a slice or two. Not healthy! I also didn’t need 24 cupcakes. I found a recipe for Birthday Cupcakes on Dessert For Two, a food blog that focuses mainly on foods portioned for, you guess it! Two. Anyway, I saw these delicious cupcakes and decided to make my own adaptation of the recipe!
The chocolate fudge frosting is amazing, it stiffens up so nicely but still has that gooey fudgy feel. It’s great!
Here’s the link to the original recipe as well: Dessert For Two Birthday Cupcakes *This recipe makes 6 cupcakes, I was able to get 8 out of the ones I made.*
Aaand now, here’s how to make these very adorable, very size portion friendly cupcakes!
Chocolate Fudge Frosting:
2 oz chocolate, chopped
4 Tbsp Butter, unsalted
1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
1 Tbsp Plain Fat Free Greek Yogurt
1/4 Cup Cocoa
1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp Cornstarch
3 Egg Whites
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
5 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
1/ 2 tsp Almond Extract
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 Tbsp Sprinkles, color of your choice
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Sift the flour and cornstarch into a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Separately beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the cream of tartar, and beat for another minute.
4. Mix the sugar in, then add the almond and vanilla extracts. Using a flat plastic spoon, fold the flour mixture into the egg whites very gently. Stir the sprinkles in; I always add more than the recipe calls for! You can never have too many sprinkles in my opinion.
5. Bake the cupcakes for 18 minutes, let them cool when out of the oven.
6. While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting! Here’s How:
Microwave the chopped chocolate in 30 second intervals until melted. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl with the melted chocolate. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes, and decorate with more sprinkles!
I’m so glad this recipe only makes 8 cupcakes, because I could seriously eat SO many more! They’re fluffy, and not too sweet. The sweetest part of this recipe is the icing, but even that’s not bad if you use semi-sweet chocolate and unsweetened cocoa powder!