Oooh, ya. You read that correctly. Pumpkin, and apple. Together in a pie.
I’m all about fall this year, and I wasn’t waiting for Thanksgiving for pumpkin pie! Oh, but what was I to do with the extra apples I had purchased at the grocery store last week?
Combine the two. Yep! That’s exactly what I did. This pie isn’t heavy on sugar at all, and is Acid Reflux friendly as long as you use a Fat-Free Evaporated Milk! (Of course, if you can’t tolerate any dairy, try subbing the evaporated for some almond or another non-dairy milk) And, this recipe isn’t sweet at all. However, if you do want a sweeter taste to this recipe, use 1/2 cup of sugar instead of 1/4 cup.
I can’t wait to go pumpkin and apple picking this year, I’m going to carve an awesome Jack O’Lantern, and make a ton of freshly baked apple recipes! Apple dumplings anyone?
Anyway, Happy Wednesday friends! Read below for the Pumpkin-Apple Pie recipe and have yourself a little mid-week fall pick me up! (I’m not letting this heat kill my fall vibe!)
And if you’re feeling especially creative, grab some cookie stamps and decorate the pie crust!
1 can Libby’s Pumpkin
1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Ginger
1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
1 can Evaporated Milk
3 small Red Apples
1/2 heaping tsp of Ground Nutmeg
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 Packaged Pie Dough (I usually prefer to make mine from scratch, but sometimes when you’re pressed for time, a pre-made has got to do!)
INSTRUCTIONS: PREHEAT OVEN TO 425°F
1. Wash, core, peel, and cut your apples.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix the apples and pumpkin with the sugar and spices.
3. Separately beat the eggs.
4. Stir the pumpkin/apple mixture into the eggs and gradually add the milk.
5. Pour into a 9″ pie pan ready prepped with the crust.
6. Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for 40-50 minutes. Pie is done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.